This chocolate waffle recipe comes from Gale Gand's Brunch!
Gale let me into her kitchen and made waffled crepe batter a few months back. When I got in touch to ask her about waffle recipes, she pointed me to this one.
These waffles are not overly sweet. Only a couple of tablespoons of brown sugar offset the cocoa powder. Top with fruit, lightly sweetened whipped cream, a sprinkling of powdered sugar, a dusting of cocoa — or all of the above.
Makes 3 to 4 large waffles
- 2 large egg yolks
- 1 1/2 cups whole milk
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 2 large egg whites
- 2 tablespoons light brown sugar
1. Heat your waffle iron.
2. In a medium bowl, combine the egg yolks, milk, baking powder, flour, cocoa powder and melted butter. Mix until almost smooth.
3. With a whisk or a mixer with a whisk attachment, whip the egg whites until stiff peaks form; then add the brown sugar and continue whipping until stiff.
4. Fold the whipped egg whites into the batter.